Engine Oil Level — Data Valid But Below Normal Operational Range — Most Severe Level
|Fault Code: 253
Engine Oil Level — Data Valid But Below Normal Operational Range —
The engine may derate. Possible low oil pressure, possible severe engine damage.
Circuit: Engine Oil Level Sensor.
An algorithm in the ECM calibration monitors engine oil level while the ECM is keyed on and no engine speed is detected. If the engine oil level falls below a certain threshold, the ECM will activate Fault 253.
The engine oil level sensor is located on the engine oil dipstick, on the air intake side of the engine. 100-002 (Engine Diagrams) in section E for further details on dipstick location.
If inactive counts of Fault 253 are logged in the ECM, it could be possible that the engine was running or keyed on while tilted at an angle severe enough to cause this fault to be triggered.
Other causes of fault code 253 may include:
- The engine may not have been filled to proper capacity during the most recent oil change
- External engine oil leaks (oil leaking onto the ground)
- Internal engine oil leaks (oil leaking into the fuel system or cooling system)
- High engine oil consumption/power cylinder failure (check for abnormally high blowby when the engine is loaded).
On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) Information:
- The ECM illuminates the appropriate amber or red fault lamp when the diagnostic runs and fails
- The ECM turns off the appropriate fault lamp when the diagnostic runs and passes.