VGT Actuator Driver Circuit (Motor) – Mechanical System Not Responding Properly or Out of Adjustment
|Fault Code: 2387
VGT Actuator Driver Circuit (Motor) – Mechanical System Not Responding Properly or Out of Adjustment. The smart VGT controller has detected incorrect stop limits, or the VGT is unable to move to the closed position.
VGT travel can be limited.
ISB, ISC, and ISL – VGT Actuator Circuit
The variable geometry turbocharger (VGT) is electronically activated by the VGT actuator. The VGT actuator is a smart device that receives information via the J1939 data link from the primary engine ECM. The VGT actuator performs its own diagnostics and reports errors back to the primary engine ECM using the J1939 data link.
The VGT actuator is located on the turbocharger bearing housing.Refer to Procedure 100-002 in Section E.
Conditions for Running the Diagnostics
This diagnostic runs continuously when the keyswitch is in the ON position or when the engine is running.
Conditions for Setting the Fault Codes
This fault code is set when the actual VGT actuator position does not meet the commanded position for more than 10 seconds.
Action Taken When the Fault Code is Active
- The ECM illuminates the amber CHECK ENGINE light immediately when the diagnostic runs and fails.
- The VGT actuator will continue to attempt to meet commanded position even when the CHECK ENGINE lamp is on.
- Active and stationary regeneration of the aftertreatment system are disabled.
Conditions for Clearing the Fault Code
The ECM will turn off the amber CHECK ENGINE light immediately after the diagnostic runs and passes at initial key ON.
Verify the ECM calibration is correct. Check the calibration revision history found on QuickServe™ Online for applicable fixes to the calibration stored in the ECM. If necessary, calibrate the ECM.Refer to Procedure 019-032 in Section 19.
- This fault code is set when the actual VGT actuator position does not meet the commanded position for more than 10 seconds.
- Large boost pressure leaks can also cause this fault code.
The aftertreatment system must be inspected after making the appropriate repair outlined in this fault code troubleshooting tree. Progressive damage to the aftertreatment system can possibly have occurred. Perform the aftertreatment initial check procedure to test for a damaged diesel particulate filter.
- For ISB engines, reference the ISB CM2150 Service Manual, Bulletin 4021578.Refer to Procedure 014-013 in Section 14.
- For ISC and ISL engines reference the ISC and ISL CM2150 Service Manual, Bulletin 4021569.Refer to Procedure 014-013 in Section 14.
Inspect the aftertreatment system for potential damage.