Fault code information
1 trip MIL
3 drive cycle recovery
Readiness group – None
Freeze frame type –Exhaust gas
Description of component(s)
The lambda sensor measures the oxygen concentration in the exhaust gases after the BPV valve.
The PCI ECU uses the measured oxygen concentration in the exhaust to determine the aratio of the combustion process.
Typical air/fuel ratios are 18 to 45. A high value indicates a high oxygen concentration measured by the lambda sensor.
The sensor has an integrated heater to maintain a sensor operating temperature of approximately 750°C [1382°F]. The PCI ECU controls the heater.
* The first stage starts when the ignition is keyed on. The sensor is heated to a value at which any condensate evaporates from the sensor.
* The second stage starts after the ‘dew point’ is reached. The sensor is heated to its operating temperature of approximately 750°C [1382°F]. The PCI ECU determines the ‘dew point’ by calculating how much energy (heat by burning fuel in the engine) is pumped through the exhaust. If the ‘dew point’ is not/no longer reached, the sensor temperature stays at/drops to the standby temperature, similar to the first stage heating.
Effect on the system
* Determines the air/fuel ratio of the combustion process
* Controls the smoke limit; where the measured exhaust gas oxygen concentration is compared with a target value for smoke limitation. A higher measured oxygen concentration results in lower calculated soot formation by the engine.
* Controls NOx emissions; determines whether the target Exhaust Gas Recirculation is being achieved to control NOx emissions. A higher measured oxygen concentration results in higher calculated NOx formation by the engine.
* Controls regeneration of the diesel particulate filter (DPF). The soot particles in the DPF are ‘burned’ using the oxygen present in the exhaust gas
Location of component(s)
This diagnostic starts five minutes after the engine starts.
Set condition of fault code
This diagnostic starts five minutes after the engine starts. The diagnostic runs continuously.
Reset condition of fault code
This fault code will change to inactive immediately after the diagnostic runs and passes.
* Faulty wiring
* Faulty connector
* Faulty sensor
No additional information available.